Tiger Woods has chosen loyalty over a hefty offer.
The legendary golfer reportedly turned down an offer in the $700 to $800 million “neighborhood” to join the LIV Golf Invitational Series, ABC News reports.
Greg Norman confirms #LIVGolf offered Tiger Woods in the $700-$800 million range to join the tour while on Tucker Carlson.
"Tiger's a needle mover." pic.twitter.com/i1Tl0yUMoD
— LIV Golf Nation (@LIVGolfNation) August 2, 2022
LIV Golf's Offer At Hand
In an interview with “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” CEO Greg Norman shared about LIV Golf’s big offer to Woods.
“That number was out there before I became CEO,” he told Carlson, according to the outlet. “Look, Tiger is a needle mover, right? So, of course you’re got to look at the best of the best. They had originally approached Tiger before I became CEO. That number is somewhere in that neighborhood.”
Tiger Wood's Hard Pass
In the midst of the tension between LIV Golf and PGA Tour, Woods has continuously been riding with the latter.
“The R&A obviously have their opinions and their rulings and their decision,” Woods said in response to the R&A not inviting Norman to the 150th celebration of The Open. “Greg has done some things that I don’t think is in the best interest of our game, and we’re coming back to probably the most historic and traditional place in our sport. I believe it’s the right thing.”
As previously reported by AfroTech, there is controversy around the LIV Golf for it being funded by the Saudi Arabian government.
Other golf stars have accepted offers of up to $200 million, but he has decided to stay ten toes down.
“I disagree with it. I think that what they’ve done is they’ve turned their back on what has allowed them to get to this position,” he said.
Charles Barkley Turns Down LIV Golf
After showing initial interest in LIV Golf, the New York Post reported that Charles Barkley turned down joining as a broadcaster. Additionally, the outlet noted that a formal offer was reportedly never made.
“I want to thank Greg Norman and LIV for their interest in me,” Barkley said in a phone interview, per the outlet. “I wish those guys great success and nothing but the best. But, in my best interest, and being fair to Turner — because Turner and basketball have given me every single thing in my life. It is best for me to move on and I’m staying with Turner for the rest of my TV career.”